Grace and Mercy, and Childbirth.
I used to
blog frequently. Used to being = prior to marriage and childbirth (which isn’t
a bad thing, just a fact). #Paul
Today
and yesterday have been a vurrrrrrry different experience, as compared to my
last 5 years. My mother-in-love, as I consider her, called and asked for my 2
and 4 year old kiddos for the weekend.
NOW:
to most *normal* parents, the ask of one’s grandchildren should be readily
received with a "YES"! Right?
Goodness
gracious, golly jeepers. For reasons I cannot begin to explain on this page,
it’s taken us three kids and five years to finally relinquish our children to
anyone other than ourselves. I make no excuses, other than just being superior parents. (that’s a joke).
Either
way, to the *many* answered prayers of my precious MIL and her friends, she’s
had 66.7% of my offspring for two days.
HURRAY!
On
our end: we’ve had a 9 month old and ourselves and cannot believe the
difference in our lives with only one child to attend to.
We
both still woke up to a baby at 7am sharp, BUT! On a Sundee (Sunday), I ran 5
miles on the treadmill before church and didn’t have the responsibility of
getting myself and two other kiddos in order for church! Whew!
Despite
the respite ™, I miss my babies and the chaos that ensues. <3
But
in my time to reflect, I had some good, gospel reflections:
I've
long been educated in the correct definition of Grace and Mercy, specifically
as it applies to theology/religion.
Grace:
getting what I do not deserve.
Mercy:
not getting what I do deserve.
I've
recently had an epiphany!
In labor, and I’ve gone through three births, the one cry I’ve moaned during the pain and contractions is: Mercy!
Jesus! Son of David! Have Mercy on me!
Mercy.
But,
why mercy? And not grace? Why was it my intrinsic cry to God to have MERCY.
Because
from the garden, my curse has been pain in childbirth. I asked God to not give
me what I do deserve: pain.
The
curse.
If
you’ve felt the curse, the pain of childbirth, you know. To feel the weight of
that pain, even in the brevity of childbirth, is to acknowledge the depravity
of this flesh. To acknowledge the weight and power of sin in the pain of labor
and delivery is to faintly glimpse Christ on the cross. To cry out to a holy
God, in the depths of pain, asking, begging, pleading Him to grant relief of a
pain you’ve never felt so deeply, is to see HIM.
The One who is Precious.
I
pay no difference in the mode of a child’s arrival, as it all comes with a cost
to the mother, and all reliance on God. Because, as we experience the miracle
of childbirth, we join in one united cry to the Creator: Mercy! And in the depths
of that cry, He hears us. And in the depths of our faith in HIM, we know, no
matter His sovereign outcome, HE is the one who holds us, hides us, under the
shadow of His wings.
Have
Mercy, Oh Most High! Mercy!
And, graciously, He does:
In Christ.
Comments
Post a Comment